/kc/ - Krautchan

Highest Serious Discussion Per Post on Endchan

New Reply on thread #32381
X
Max 20 files0 B total
[New Reply]

[Index] [Catalog] [Banners] [Logs]
Posting mode: Reply [Return]

After a lot of fan channels were wiped, NattoSumo3 (new channel) is now back up on youtube. Hopefully it survives.
thumbnail of 2023-haru-basho.jpg
thumbnail of 2023-haru-basho.jpg
2023-haru-basho jpg
(407.15 KB, 1920x660)
March Tournament starts this Sunday!
I doubt Terunofuji recovered already. I think it would be better to recover fully than to push it and get hurt. IF can recover fully.
So probably Takakeisho will be a ronery ozeki still. He has to push on and win. He is consistently able to gain +10 victories, so I think he can get the yusho. That would be the second in a row. I bet he'll try everything, he will give everything he has, I expect good bouts will close each day.
Three sekiwakes, Wakatakakage, Hoshoryu, Kiribayama. Perhaps Hoshoryu has the most potential, he is the youngest of the three, hopefully a long career still in front of him, last time an injury prevented him from getting that 10+ wins. Who will be the next ozeki?
One step below Wakamotoharu catching up with his borther. Tobizaru is there too, facing tough opponents I doubt he will stay.
Further down Abi might rise, but I think for Ryuden that's about the top.
Towards the end of the banzuke we find Kinbozan and Hokuseiho, fresh from juryo, how they'll fare here? And then Oho is still in, I hope he can improve.

In Juryo Asanoyama is at the top, he'll win ofc. Unless Ichinojo - who fell out from Makuuchi - can stop him in this. Or maybe Tochinoshin.

>>/49938/
I'm worried there won't be any uploads.
thumbnail of shodai-vs-takakeisho.jpg
thumbnail of shodai-vs-takakeisho.jpg
shodai-vs-t... jpg
(104.56 KB, 533x800)
Haru basho day 3

Juryo
Ochiai is interesting jumping into Maegeshira due to amateur sumo, and now racking up the score in juryo, the second one today. He looks strong and has some skills.
It isn't going well for Tochimusashi.
Atamufuji really tried, and was stronger. But fell first, was directed away.
Diamami vs Enho. The previous still can't squat. First win for Enho!!!! He tried to pull him down, did not manage, then tried to pushed him out, it worked.
Chiyomaru vs Roga. It wasn't straightforward for Roga, but managed.
Chiyonokuni vs. Ichinojo. Considering the first one was also high up in Makuuchi, Ichinojo did good job. His 3rd win.
Asanoyama vs. Tohakuryu. What a bout! Tohakuryu started strong, surprised the ex-ozeki. He recovered then after a bit of chase he pushed T. out of the dohyo. Looked quite funny.
5 spotless 3-0.

Makuuchi
Tochinoshin is up in Makuuchi today. Lost against Chiyoshoma. Oh well.
Oho vs. Bushozan. I was hoping for an Oho win. He tired out from the relentless pushypuhy attacks of Bushozan. Sad. It won't be any easier for Oho. From previous matches it seems for me he lost some muscles, getting weaker.
Hokuseiho won against Kinbozan. Good.
Hiradoumi vs. Ura. Very nice bout! Great struggle.
Takayas' won his 8th win against Sadanoumi in the chain of their fights. He never managed to beat Bear.
Midori is stronk.
Mita was almost thrown by the arm by Wharu. Almost.
Perfect henka by Tobizaru. Nishikigi went down quick.
Just like with Oho, I hoped a Ryuden win, but did not get it.
Hoshoryu did great save. From the brink of the dohyo turned the table. His first win on this basho. He usually beats Kotonowaka. So maybe not a surprise.
Kiribayama elegantly channeled Tamawashi's momentum and rolled him out. Nice.
A well performing Shodai vs. Takakeisho with yokozuna aspirations. 6-13 was their balance. Maybe this was a big clue how this will end. Takakeisho won with pushypushy.
thumbnail of midori-vs-tobizaru.jpg
thumbnail of midori-vs-tobizaru.jpg
midori-vs-tobizaru jpg
(167.44 KB, 780x800)
Day 10

Juryo
Three rikishis with 8-1, two veterans - Asanoyama, Ichinojo - and a fresh meat - Ochiai. Who will be able to hand on today?
In the lower ranks, quite ok matches they are trying.
Ochiai vs. Atamifuji. Atami isn't that easy opponent, they did not get into long deadlocks, both were activly trying to break it. Atamifuji rolled Ochiai out in the end. I think Ochi tired out and couldn't correct in the end. Atami was very pleased when watching back the footage. Ochiai 8-2.
Tochimusashi vs Daiamami. Another long bout, but lotsa standstills. Tochi won.
Ichinojo vs. Roga. Paperform. Ichinojo 9-1.
Oshoma vs Tochinoshin. The veteran hurt his shoulder. Too bad. He started out well. Oshoma took the tachiai carefully.
Asanoyama vs. Enho. The match many waited for. Many cheered for Enho from the audience, they were very audible. Enho was very energetic and Asanoyama had to catch up to hold him down. Both fell but Enho was below. Asanoyama 9-1.
Btw. Gonoyama catched up to Ochiai, 8-2.

Makuuchi
Midori still standing unbeaten 9-0 at the start.
I thought Tohakuryu stepped out before he stepped out, but he was only on the straw.
Oho fell forward. Too bad. He's getting beaten too frequently. He needs 4 moar wins to stay in. He is too strong for Juryo however.
Takarafuji vs Bushozan. LÖL
Hokuseiho vs. Ura. The latter is obviously more skilled, but Hokuseiho is big. Took long time for this bout the play out. One more win for Hokuseiho.
Kinbozan vs. Takayasu. Another beginner vs veteran matchup. It did not end well for Takayas'. Still 7-3, he has a good chance to rack up good score.
Was rooting for Ryuden who performs bad on this basho. But Tamawashi as well has a bad balance. Both started 1-8. This time Tamawashi had the chance to gain one for the honor.
Midorifuji vs. Tobizaru. Thought disgonbegud. Diswuzntdisappointingatleast. Wasn't that spectacular but wasn't bad. And most importantly Midori has one more point under his panty. He has a good chance to become the champion of this basho. 10-0.
Kiribayama lifting Mita out. Kiribayama stronk!
So. Midori leads by 2 full points in fron of Daieisho, Kotonowaka, and Endo. I think all has the chance for catching up, especially the komusubis. And there are still some high ranking rikishis with 7-3, plus Takayas.
Ryuden with disappointing 9-1 at the end of the list.
thumbnail of Kiribayama-vs-Daieisho.jpg
thumbnail of Kiribayama-vs-Daieisho.jpg
Kiribayama-vs-Daieisho jpg
(147.77 KB, 800x624)
Yesterday Haru basho was concluded. I think couple of noteworthy things to mention.

First Ichinojo managed to beat Asanoyama in the race for juryo yusho. Which might not have been an actual race for them, juryo probably doesn't feel much of a thing. Their aim is the top ranks of makuuchi.
Ochiai, the fresh meat, started out quite well, reaching 10 wins. On the last day he had to face Asanoyama, and put up a good fight, the ex-ozeki had to work hard for their point. Ochiai has great promise, the is well rounded - not just in waist girth, but in skills, he is able to use different techniques and can defend against different ones. I think Slov said, he was amateur champion.

In Makuuchi, first and foremost I want to express my disappointment in Ryuden's performance. He got beaten 13 times. Will fall far back from his place at Maegeahira 2. He isn't that good obviously, but I expected something better. Oh well.
With Takakeisho suffering another injury, his dreams to become yokozuna have to be put on ice for a bit. Maybe one day. But supposedly Terunofuji is back from May, so it will be harder to win those yusho's that needed for the title of grand champion.
Hokuseiho's 9-6 score means climbing up in the ranks, that's good. But he is not that good, the boys in the upper ranks will beat him. He is quite stationary, and can't lower his center of gravity. He could compensate with strength, but packing muscle needs time.
Oho got it bad, only 7-8. From M15 he will fall back to juryo I suspect. He is strong for that, so gonna be back in makuuchi soon.
Shodai 10-5, gonna be back in sanyaku ranks. Takayasu I think is too old now to reach higher titles. Midorifuji will always be too small and light for the largest rikishis. He is great entertainment tho. Hoshoryu needs to learn humility, he is very good fighter, he puts in everything. Kinbozan is a promising youth, seems better than Hokuseiho, at least got better results. Wakamotoharu caught up with his brother. This will be interesting.
And for the yusho. Congrats Kiribayama! He had to beat the main contender Daieisho twice to become the champion. He is a sekiwake, and got his second double digit win in a row (11-4, 12-3). If he is able, then in May could reach the ozeki title, which would finally solve the lonely ozeki problem of the banzuke. Could he keep the title however? He also doesn't seem like a yokozuna material, but can never know. Takakeisho is neither, but has the chance.
thumbnail of 2023-natsu-basho.jpg
thumbnail of 2023-natsu-basho.jpg
2023-natsu-basho jpg
(584.07 KB, 1920x660)
Natsu Basho starts on May 14th.

At the top of the banzuke, both Terunofuji and Takakeisho are recovering from injury, both are in risk of re-injury, which could force Teru to retire, and Takakeisho to lose his ozeki title. He also needs to perform well due to his kadoban status. It could happen there will be no ozekis after this basho.
BUT, there is Kiribayama, with a 11-4 and 12-3 wins on the ozeki run, if he is able to pull 10 wins he will be promoted!

What's other interesting tidbits?
Wakamotoharu is now above in the rankings of his brother Wakatakakage.
Midorifuji is at #1 Maegeshira. The tiny man performs well. But he's gonna get harder opponents now.
Kinbozan is at #5, he is new to Makuuchi, and upcoming talent.
Oho is at the end of the list.
Asanoyama is back in Makuuchi, and probably will gain many wins.

In Juryo Tochinoshin is still hanging on.
It would be worth to pay attention to Ochiai, if he can continue with good performance.
There is Roga and Enho close to the top.

Very excite.
thumbnail of Teru-vs-Wakamotoharu.jpg
thumbnail of Teru-vs-Wakamotoharu.jpg
Teru-vs-Wakamotoharu jpg
(113.37 KB, 800x522)
Day 12

Juryo
Both Ochiai and Gonoyama took a point home. Head to head.

Makuuchi
Mitoryu vs. Takarafuji - long struggle and torinaoshi! Then Takarafuji did short job. I guess Mitoryu got tired.
Oho vs. Onosho - Oho won! His 8th win. Takanosho isn't an easy opponent, but I think he is injured or under the weather or something.
Hiradoumi really fights in good spirit whole basho. He would deserve that kachi-koshi, I hope he can win one more.
Ryuden got outed again. Not pulling a good form.
Tobizaru vs. Ura - What a BOUT! It was their version of deadlock. A very active and intense deadlock. Spectacular.
Takayas' vs. Midorifuji - The Bear had to miss most matches, yesterday he was back, and won. Now the tiny one finished the match quick. When Takayas changed hands he was pushed out of balance and out of the dohyo.
Daieisho vs. Asanoyama - Wow Daieisho! Great show! Teru will have a hard job when they face. Asa still at 10-2.
Hokuseiho vs. Hoshoryu - Hokuseiho weighing on, but Hoshoryu pulled out from the hug and made him lose footing. As the Big Lad turned to side, and back, he really just gave up and walked out. THis was their first bout.
Kiribayama vs. Takakeisho - K is on ozeki run at 9-2 at the beginning of the bout. He grabbed Takakeisho and got that 10th win! He probably is now ozeki, well by next tournament. But seeing one more win would be cool. He has 3 more days to pull that feat.
Terunofuji vs. Wakatakakage - Wtage lost to Teru twice, one was the bout with the rearranging. I like his attitude, he is humble, still a good rikishi. And he was on the offense from the start, till his fall. Teru won but he also had to step/fall from the dohyo, seemed hard on his knees. I hope he is ok. 11 wins, and on top of the list.

With 10-2 Kiribayama and Asanoyama follows. Surprisingly Tsurigisho with 9-3 is #4. Three more days and I see little chance that anyone with 8-4 catching up, that would need Teru to lose three times. I assume he will face Daieisho, Kiribayama and Asanoyama in the coming days. Yeah, starting with Asa tomorrow. Excite.
thumbnail of Teru-vs-Asanoyama.jpg
thumbnail of Teru-vs-Asanoyama.jpg
Teru-vs-Asanoyama jpg
(178.78 KB, 747x800)
Day 13

Juryo
First bout, Kawazoe did good. He is also a tiny guy, bit heavier than Enho, from Makushita division. From Miyagino stable.
Atamifuji 11-2. Keeps up with Gonoyama and Ochiai.
Haha, Akua took Terutsuyoshi's antics on, throwing salt high. Not that large amount, but still, a good handful.
Roga got his 8th.
Oshoma vs Shimanoumi - breddy gud bout, great struggle. Latter won, 8th win.
Tohakuryu got henkad badly by Hideonumi. Or well, depending.
Azumaryu started out with a henka, then held up well, but lost in the end. His 11th loss.
Ochiai vs. Shonannoumi. Ochiai failed the first tachi-ai, but won the bout. At the end was funky, because Shonannoumi thought he already lost, but he wasn't out, so Ochi had to push him, and he fell hard. He might have felt it unnecessary, although it had to happen. 12-1!
Gonoyama vs. Shimazuumi. Gonoyama fell. Onto Shumazuumi. 12-1!

Makuuchi
Aoiyama vs Oho. Oho won his 9th against the big guy. Well Oho also big, but yeah.
Takayas is still injured. Not sure why he returned. Maybe finishing in the dohyo expands his career.
Kinbozan's meetings with the top guys don't work out for him much.
Tsurigisho vs Wakamotoharu. Tsu climbed high for this quick beating. Wharu threw him a slap at tachi-ai, then pulled him down by the arm.
Mita barely saved this.
Poor Hiradoumi. Hoshoryu +1.
Oooo. Kiribayama vs Hokuseiho. Hoshoryu figured out the big guy, we'll see if Kir can do it too. Long bout. Hokuseiho weighed on Kir, and managed to avoid tripping in his leg too. At the end, he went down in a successful tripping effort. Big fall. Kiribayama 11-2! He is ozeki it's sure as hell.
Meisei vs. Takakeisho. The ozeki needed his 8th and secured it with a lightning quick henka.
And the big match! Terunofuji vs Asanoyama. The balance of their previous meetings was 5-0. Whoa. Asa wen on the offense, Teru held himself, then directed Asa to the side and pushed him down by the arm. It looked relatively easy. Teru has problems with the smaller more mobile guys, like Daieisho.

So. Two more days, two more points.
In theory Asanoyama still has a chance. Tomorrow he faces Shodai, which should be straightforward but can never know with that one. Teru will meet Kiribayama. I don't expect it to be that easy win. So a possibility Asa gaining 1 and Tero not, placing the yusho in Asanoyama's reach. But then Kiribayama would equalize with Teru with 12 win. And then on the last day, both should lose and Asa win for playoffs.
If Teru wins tomorrow then it's decided, he will be the champion of this basho. Simple.
thumbnail of Teru-vs-cup.jpg
thumbnail of Teru-vs-cup.jpg
Teru-vs-cup jpg
(149.35 KB, 689x800)
Day 15

Juryo
Started out with some rikishis visiting from Makushita.
Yuma had a quick but intereting bout, right after tachi-ai he had his chance. Tsushimanada could hold himself, and turned the tables quick.
Shishi is a Ukrainian fella, as "Westerners" he is a big lad 192cm tall. Has weight too, especially compared to his opponent Tokihayate. He won 6-1. I assume he starts in Juryo next time.
Third is Ryuo, at Makushita #3, but had 1-6 balance. He lost again. Daiamami is big and has routine.
Important bouts:
Atamifuji vs. Chiyosakae. The latter ain't too skillful, and Atami got his 13th win! Had a chance for yusho depending on two other fights.
Oshoma vs. Ochiai. Latter starting from 13-1 and adding one more to that. 14! Atamifuji is out of the race (13 wins are still nice), and Gonoyama has to score one to challange Ochi in playoff.
Gonoyama vs Kitanowaka. Big henka done by Kitanowaka, and then Gonoyama saved the match twice more! Then pushed out Kitano from the dohyo.
Playoff!
Gonoyama vs Ochiai. They faced each other earlier, the former taking the point home. Short relentless pushy-pushy offense on behalf of Gonoyama decided the outcome. He won, Juryo yusho is his.

Makuuchi
In this division the yusho was decided yesterday when yokozuna Terunofuji beat sekiwake Kiribayama in a lengthy bout. It was quite good, Kiribayama avoided getting hugged, but Teru waited out his chance patiently.
So.
Hokuseiho vs. Kagayaki. The veteran beat the greenhorn. Still 7-8 and I think he faces relegation.
Ryuden vs. Kotoeko. Sadly Ryuden lost again, on the plus side, Kotoeko got his kachi-koshi, 8-7. Kotoeko isn't among the best rikishi but always fights in good spirit, and gives in everything he has.
Another rikishi like that is Hiradoumi. He had the 9th win, he's position was safe.
Tobizaru vs. Tamawashi. What an intense bout! And in the end Tobizaru was rightfully happy.
Oho vs. Midorifuji. Oho is having a good run this basho. But Midori is quite skillful and strong relative to his size. Long bout with different techniques thrown in. With long deadlock. Where the Big Lad pulled down to the clay the Tiny One. 11th win, Oho.
The battle of the two ex-ozekis: Shodai vs. Mitakeumi. Mita seems recovering, pocketing his 9th win.
Important bout: Kiribayama vs. Hoshoryu. K on ozeki run, and while it seems he gathered enough points I think it would mean much if he could beat all the other sekiwakes. Hoshoryu is skillful, and won in a raltively short, but interesting bout. He managed to grab Kiribayama's mawashi, both hands with strong grip, and lifted him up and throw him down the ground. K really dun goofed this one.
Terunofuji vs Takakeisho. Takakeisho did not have much chance. At least he already had his 8th win, safe from demotion. He fell on his legs, I hope his knees hold, he walked away relatively fine. A nice return for the yokozuna with solid 14-1 wins.

See you in July.
thumbnail of coffeebayama.jpg
thumbnail of coffeebayama.jpg
coffeebayama jpg
(46.75 KB, 373x441)
It's done. Kiribayama is officially ozeki. He took a new shikona, so from now on he is Kirishima. Sounds gay to be honest, previous name was better, but it's his business.
Now balance is restored in the ozeki rank, Takakeisho managed to hold on to the title.
As a novelty Shishi is up in Juryo for the first time. He is a big lad as I previously noted.
I have some news regarding Tochinoshin's what now - he gave an interview for Nikkan Sports & he founded a company (with friend) for importing Georgian food (he mentioned wine and honey) to Japan.
https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202306190000700.html

>>/50328/
Kirishima was his stablemaster's shikona. Supposedly it was decided long ago that he takes it if he makes ozeki.
thumbnail of nagoya-basho-2023.jpg
thumbnail of nagoya-basho-2023.jpg
nagoya-basho-2023 jpg
(312.3 KB, 1200x630)
Nagoya basho starts today! Started actually.

Teru rules still alone, last time won the yusho with an impressive 14-1 balance. He was recovering from injury, I hope he is more stable and stronger than before.
The balance in ozeki ranks is restored. But things are getting out of hand here I think all sekiwakes are on the ozeki run. 33 points in 3 consequent bashos needs to be won. All three sekiwakes has the chance, but all has some challenges and shortcomings.
Hoshoryu - 10-5, 11-4, he needs at least a 12 point win.
Daiesho - has a 10-5 record as Maegeshira which isn't count, then 12-3 as komusubi which should count, and then 10-5 as sekiwake. I think he has the best chance, if he can pull a 11+ point win.
Wakamotoharu - 11-4, 10-5, ne also needs at least 12 points, started the run as komusubi.
I highly doubt all three will succeed with the points but if they do... there will be a demand-supply inbalance in ozekis, just the other way around.
What esle can be told?
Hokuseiho at maegeshira 6th, jumped a lot, but Kinbozan fell back to 10. Wakatakakage has to climb back to the top from #12, ouch. Ryuden, Takarafuji, Endo and Aoiyama are surprisingly back. But new guys rising in the ranks, Gonoyama, Shonannoumi, and Hakuoho/Ochiai are up in makuuchi. Will see how they fare. Hakuoho is pgood, no doubt, just a beginner among pros, will he handle the pressure?

In juryo: Shishi is in form Ukraine, and Enho is down. He is now down in makushita #1 West, due to injury he fared badly on the last tournament. I have little hope in him to recover his position (from the injury sure).

>>/50583/
DeepL translation:
> He also gave a shout-out to the three sekiwake who will be ozeki-ranked at the Nagoya tournament (first day, 9 July, Dolphins Arena): Toyoshoryu, Daieisho and Waka Motoharu.
> Toyoshoryu
Keksimus.
He's getting grey.
> -When we said goodbye to Maage...
> Tochi: We've been together for 17 and a half years. I'll miss him, but I'm also looking forward to shampooing him, because it will be easier.
What?
> Kirishima was his stablemaster's shikona.
Thanks, I did not know.
thumbnail of Atamifuji1.jpg
thumbnail of Atamifuji1.jpg
Atamifuji1 jpg
(50.07 KB, 590x290)
Nagoya basho day 15!

This day promised to be exciting.
Juryo
Three 10-4 primary candidates for the yusho, Atamifuji, Daiamami, and Tomokaze. But four more with 9-5 also with chance.
Their hopes disappeared when Daiamami won against Shishi (who also reached kachi koshi earlier, 9-5, rising in the ranks). Daiamami won relatively easily. 11-4.
Kitanowaka beat Tomokaze removing one contender from the race. He was quite resolute.
Tohakuryu won with nicely performed henka.
Akua vs. Atamifuji. For Akua this bout meant getting a positive balance. For Atamifuji a chance for yusho. Akua seemed to run out of stream soon then was thrown down to the ground. He expressed his displease by striking the dohyo, among loud feedback from the audience.
Very intense fight between Churanoumi vs Kagayaki. The former won. Good bout.
Sandanme playoff was cool, good bout again. I don't know these guys, they looked relatively young. Wakaikari won.
And the final between Atamifuji and Daiamami. A brief deadlock was decided by a big push by Atamifuji, pushing out far his opponents from the ring, into the crowd.
thumbnail of Hoshoryu-yusho.jpg
thumbnail of Hoshoryu-yusho.jpg
Hoshoryu-yusho jpg
(142.63 KB, 680x800)
Makuuchi.
Three rikishis with 11-3: Hoshoryu, Hokutofuji, and Hakuoho. Today the first and the last will face each other. The three osumosan with 10-4 has no chance because of these two, since one of them will win inevitably, gaining the 12th points unreachable for the 10-4 ones.
Roga is up in Makuuchi today. He needs a spot in there for next basho. He fought against Daishoho twice and lost. Just as now. Kinda disappointing.
Gonoyama vs Tamawashi. Gonoyama had high hopes, and he is good. Good enough to defeat the veteran now. 10th win, which is very good for a beginner in Makuuchi.
Bushozan vs. Oho. Neither had a good run, I'm hoping Oho'll get his shit together. Got another point against the badly performing Bushozan.
Hiradoumi was out for his last bout. His left leg injured, said Nattosumo. Sad. He is an energetic and enthusiastic rikishi.
Kinbozan vs Meisei. Kinbozan is also a relatively newcomer with high hopes. But Meisei also needed 1 point to get that 8-7 balance. And he got it.
Midorifuji vs Hokuseiho. Started with brief pushypushy battle, not characteristic for Hokuseiho at all. Then the tiny Midori threw the big guy in an impressive arch. I'm suspecting monkey business, but I'm not bothered by it if it was.
Important bout: Nishikigi vs Hokutofuji. Previously Nishikigi led the toplist for a while, in good form, but to the last bouts he run out of steam. Hokutofuji gained the 12th point necessary for yusho.
Asanoyama vs. Wakamotoharu. Asa needed the 8th, and a win against a sekiwake always promises good things. He just might return to the top ranks. Wharu with 9 point... has to start the ozeki run again.
Daiesho failed to get his 10th point, ending his ozeki run too.
And what everybody as waiting for: Hoshoryu vs. Hakuoho. The ozeki candidate and the rising star. Hakuoho did not entered the stare-down, albeit looked back stern as he had to. Hoshoryu won quick by gaining a firm grip on Hakuoho's mawashi, then throwing him down the clay.
Abi vs. Kirishima. The ozeki couldn't hold himself against the pushes of Abi, who finished the bout unorthodoxly for himself.
And the great finale: Hoshoryu vs Hokutofuji playoff. Wasn't a very good bout. Hoshoryu won comfortably. But I think he got one onto the nose. Or perhaps he got very emotional, almost crying he seemed. I wouldn't be surprised since he got the 12th point needed for his ozeki title, and cemented it by winning the yusho. Congratulations!
thumbnail of hoshoryu-smiling.png
thumbnail of hoshoryu-smiling.png
hoshoryu-smiling png
(1.21 MB, 1920x1080)
Yeah, in the yusho interview he was asked about it, and he said he acknowledge he was crying a bit. To be honest it's a good to see this side, because of his attitude he goes into the staredowns. And I don't mean the emotional side, but that he can handle a bit humility and can be humble, balancing out the overconfident cockiness.
 >>/50751/
I hope he won't change his name. Even if he reaches yokozuna title. Btw for that he essentially needs 2 consequent yushos, no? Is it possible that if he wins the next one, he'll be promoted? Or he has to win as ozeki, so the nagoya basho doesn't count?
Your opinion about the last day?
 >>/50752/
He probably won't change his name. He has good continuity from his uncle Asashoryu, it'd be foolish to change now.
Last day was breddi gud! We got the playoffs, Asanoyama got his kachi-koshi despite rekt biceps, shame about both other sekiwakes losing for a 9-6 score – I would consider their ozeki run is now back to zero.
thumbnail of 2023-aki-basho.jpg
thumbnail of 2023-aki-basho.jpg
2023-aki-basho jpg
(368.89 KB, 1920x660)
Aki basho is starting on Sunday!
I think we can expect Terunofuji fighting, and the injured ozekis, Takakeisho and Kirisihima. At least they were at least they did training matches in this public viewing event:
https://invidious.protokolla.fi/watch?v=WmvaBfTKBJk
https://youtube.com/watch?v=WmvaBfTKBJk
Tho it seemed Teru walked kinda gingerly.
In case anyone wanna join: we're watching the bouts on Endcorner at 18:00 basically every day in the next two weeks, starting on Sunday.
https://cytu.be/r/endcorner
thumbnail of OnosatoMain3.png
thumbnail of OnosatoMain3.png
OnosatoMai... png
(1.73 MB, 718x1318)
Another young talent that may be worthy to give attention: Onosato.
He is 23 and won all kind of championships in uni and amateur sumo. He joined the pro ranks in May, and had two bashos in Makushita. 6-1 and 4-3 results, not very shining, but now he is in juryo, and started out with two solid wins. Maybe he'll pull it off and get a good result - a close yusho balance would suffice...
Day 2

Makuuchi
Takayas' vs Ryuden and Kotonowaka vs Asanoyama bouts were great. Also Hokuseiho carrying out Endo, classic Teru move.
I did not expect Hokutofuji win over Hoshoryu.
Day 3
Whew, that match between Hokutofuji and Kirishima! Hokutofuji is very fast now, Kirishima was one step behind all the way. He had good run in previous basho as well.
Oh lawdy! Tobizaru beat Hoshoryu! At tachi-ai Tobizaru moved in instead of being careful as usual, but Hoshoryu was slow to push forward because he expected monkey business. Then Tobizaru pulled on Hoshoryu and moved out of his way then pushed him out of the dohyo was very nice.
Day 8

Juryo
Onosato is unstoppable now. He beat his way through the lower ranks. He has to face the upper ones, there ought to be a couple of veterans who will beat him.
Either way he has an excellent chance to be the champ.

Makuuchi
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Big henka by Chiyoshoma. Did it masterfully and exploited it further to win.
Hokuseiho did something of a henka, stepped sideways instead of going in. He rarely does that. It worked out.
Takayasu vs Mitakeumi was a good long bout, with Takayas pushing down his opponent to the ground by the head and arm. Good sumo.
Awkward tachi-ai, Hokutofuji. I think he thought gyoji will call it, instead of letting it go.
Takanosho finished Kirishima decisively. Took the initiative right after the start.
Ura beat Hoshoryu. He is over 30 but he still has in him to beat the young lions.
And with Tobizaru beating Takakeisho - exchanging slaps, and parrying over and over - all three ozekis failed today. Hilarious.
Takanosho, Ura, Tobizaru, good for you.
And this means Takayasu took a step away from them, having 7-1, while the ozekis are down to 5-3 (well, Hoshoryu 3-5!). Atamifuji is keeping up 7-1, but he is at M15 and he's gonna get stronger opponents. Perhaps the sekiwake Wakamotoharu with 6-2 can cause some discomfort.
thumbnail of Atamifuji_Sakutaro20220718.jpg
thumbnail of Atamifuji_Sakutaro20220718.jpg
Atamifuji_... jpg
(1.45 MB, 2031x3825)
thumbnail of atamifuji.gif
thumbnail of atamifuji.gif
atamifuji gif
(5.12 MB, 500x640)
thumbnail of 1eccbf796edcbc8cd92d704cbc88c205.jpg
thumbnail of 1eccbf796edcbc8cd92d704cbc88c205.jpg
1eccbf796edcbc8cd92d7... jpg
(88.03 KB, 660x553)
So Aki basho ended yesterday. Takakeisho had the yusho with a 11-4 and defeating Atamifuji in the playoffs since both had the same score by the end of the tournament. 11-4 is quite a thin score for a championship, far from a fat 14-1 or a full 15. But still.
But it was an epic battle for Atamifuji, the whole basho. From the place Maegeshira 15 he managed to beat the whole banzuke, except 4 (and three of em were Daiesho, Takakeisho, and Asanoyama...). He deserved that second chance in the playoff match for the yusho.
Atamifuji - or for Anglos: Tummyfuji - is one of the young/new and talented rikishis struggling their way to the top. He was in Makuuchi briefly, but fall back to Juryo when he was out for some injury. But since he racking up nice scores, got back to Makuuchi, and surprised everyone with this run. He is 21. What the future holds, we'll see.
Besides him, there is:
- Oho (23), who is rising-falling, rising-falling in the bottom half of Makuuchi;
- Gonoyama (25) who jumped up to Maegeshira #5 with great speed but now seems slowing down a bit;
- the skyscraper Hokuseiho (22) who secured a stable position in the bottom half of Makuuchi; 
- Kinbozan (26), also finding his place in the same range of the ranks;
- Hakuoho (20) who was out due to some shoulder surgery this basho, but probably is the most promising of these.
Back in Juryo it's perhaps Onosato (23) who could be capable of great things. Roga (24) lacks in that surprising talent to rack up 10+ scores, and Shishi (26) is a big lad, but not skillful enough and too old to expect considerable development. The latter two ofc might make into Makuuchi and stay there.
I dunno. We'll just have to see.
thumbnail of kyushu-basho-2023.jpg
thumbnail of kyushu-basho-2023.jpg
kyushu-basho-2023 jpg
(256.36 KB, 1920x660)
Kysushu Basho starts tomorrow.
Gonna watch it in the next two weeks every day, about 18:00 CET as usual. If NattoSumo manages to upload it somewhere.

Perhaps Takakeisho will manages to bag the yusho, which could very well mean he bags the yokozuna rank too. He needs a good balance, for his last one was a fairly week win. The rest isn't too exciting I think. Couple of guys to pay some mind. I wonder if Hakuoho will participate, and how the rest of the youth, like Tummy-fuji or Hokuseiho or Gonoyama will fare.
And that's about it.
thumbnail of takakeisho-vs-shodai.jpg
thumbnail of takakeisho-vs-shodai.jpg
takakeisho-vs-sh... jpg
(147.25 KB, 670x800)
Kyushu basho
Day 2

Juryo
Akua vs. Hitoshi - haha nice roll. On the other hand poor Hitoshi got injured.
Daishoho pushed Onosato hard and far but fell himself. Had to rematch because it wasn't obvious who won. Then Onosato got the point after a strong tachi-ai.
Shishi beat Chiyoshoma. I did not expect this, Chiyoshoma being more skilled I think. Shishi hang on and was persistent, stood his ground and pushed his opponent out.

Makuuchi
Tamawashi beat Tsurugisho easy. The fat lad fell hard.
Whoa. Oho vs Sadanoumi! What a struggle! Oho did a great save at half the match, but couldn't save it in the end. Both fell like trees in storm.
Kotoeko vs Hiradoumi. Another intense match right after. They always fight in good spirit and vehemently. Kotoeko won.
Mitakeumi was defeated by Tummyfuji. Well deserved win he was on the offense from the start.
Hokuseiho vs Endo. Endo knew he shouldn't let Hokuseiho stall the match. Sadly for him, Hokuseiho decided to lean on his neck and push him down to the clay.
Daiesho vs Gonoyama. Very good match both hitting the clay in the same time. Torinaoshi! Daiesho won for the second time wasn't any doubt.
Wakamotoharu was holding ground and grappling with Meisei, slowly but steadily directing him out of the ring.
Takakeisho beat Shodai. Then Hoshoryu Ura. And then the third ozeki (the first one in current ranking) Kirishima beat Abi with a blitz.
thumbnail of Takayas-vs-Hoshoryu.jpg
thumbnail of Takayas-vs-Hoshoryu.jpg
Takayas-vs-Ho... jpg
(126.1 KB, 601x800)
Day 6

Lotsa very good fights today. In general the whole tournament goes well. So just a few here.

Juryo
Yuma vs Tochimusashi. Good bout right at the start! Tochimusashi - visiting from Makushita division - won.
Hitoshi vs Shiden. Bretty gud pushy-pushy fight for juryo.
Shimanoumi vs Takakento. And this one was bretty gud panties grabbin fight.

Makuuchi
Ichiyamamoto bagging the 6th win against Nishikifuji. Nice bout.
Seemed like Roga beat Takarafuji in a great bout, good fight. But was mono-ii if his heel was out. I think it was but the elders decided otherwise.
Ryuden vs Oho. Jesus! Awesome fight! Very energetic, alternatingly gaining the upper hand. Then deadlock. And in the end Ryuden rocked Oho slowly out of the ring.
Atamifuji fucked up by constantly trying to reach for Sadanoumi's belt. His tries costed time and allowed Sadanoumi to force his own sumo.
Hahahahaha, Nishikigi lifeted Hokuseiho out! What a turn of events! Hokuseiho is a tall lad but not fat enough to be unmovable obstacle.
Ura! Urrraaaaaahhh!
And Shodai beats Daieisho. I did not expect this.
Whew, Gonoyama beat Kirishima. Very quick. To be honest I think Kirishimas right leg slipped. On the other hand they should take care that doesn't happen, part of the skillset to avoid that.
Tobizaru henkad Takakeisho, but couldn't exploit it. Then Takakeisho beat him with his pushy-pushy routine.
Takayas isn't in his best form, he looked unsure, and reactive, instead of the one dictating the pace. But in the end he pulled Hoshoryu's leg out, and flattened him onto the clay. Very good bout. I cannot put my finger on where Hoshoryu failed here, but he could win it earlier I think.
Kotonowaka nad Ichiyamamoto are still unbeaten.
So we are over halfway in the tournament, 8 days passed. Noone reached kachi koshi (a balance with at least 8 wins) yet, which means no unbeaten rikishi.
Ichiyamamoto leads the banzuke with 7-1. He is on the 14th place of the Maegeshira ranks, so he'll face harder and harder opponents proportionally, so more likely he'll get halted.
Two ozekis Kirishima and Hoshoryu is on 6-2, and the sekiwake Kotonowaka as well. They bound to achieve good score perhaps one of them will be the champion of the basho. Atamifuji has the same amount of points, and did very well on the last basho, perhaps he will also be in the lead again, having the chance to fight for the yusho again. Who knows. Maybe Nishikigi and Tamawashi can hope.
Ozeki Takakeisho, and sekiwake Daieisho have 5-3, just as Takayasu. I don't think they'll be in the lead. Can happen.
Thing is Takayasu already fought all the top wrestlers, all the ozekis and sekiwakes. There is still Abi and Hokutofuji, but I think he can manage. So in the next seven fights, he'll face relatively easy opponents. 10 points is reasonable goal.
Takakeisho and Daieisho still have to face the other ozekis.
And for tomorrow Kotonowaka got Hoshoryu, who potentially can halt the sekiwake.
I don't think Kirishima got easier opponent. He will face Asanoyama, who just beat Takakeisho today. However Asanoyama is recovering, and Takakeisho also isn't at 100% health. So Kirishima might have easier time.

It doesn't seem like any of the ozekis are ready to be yokozuna. I think Hoshoryu is the most skilled, and the youngest (only 24!). Takakeisho is a one trick pony, and Kirishima isn't good enough. He might be good enough to keep the ozeki title for some time. Hoshoryu can beat Kirishima fairly reliably, and probably Takakeisho too. But bagging two losses this early isn't a good sign.
I remember the rise of Terunofuji, like a meteor flying through, opposed by noone, but Hakuho. I did not witnessed Hakuho's career but only a couple of tournament where he absolutely dominated the dohyo. Now these are/were yokozunas. Perhaps I expect a lot. Reading about Hakuho, he was a very exceptional rikishi.
Anyway Hoshoryu has the potential, we'll see if he can use it.
thumbnail of Kirishima-Tetsuo-press.jpg
thumbnail of Kirishima-Tetsuo-press.jpg
Kirishima-Tetsuo-press jpg
(155.27 KB, 1300x888)
thumbnail of Kirishima-vs-Atamifuji.jpg
thumbnail of Kirishima-vs-Atamifuji.jpg
Kirishima-vs-Atamifuji jpg
(149.21 KB, 800x660)
thumbnail of Kotonowaka-vs-Atamifuji.jpg
thumbnail of Kotonowaka-vs-Atamifuji.jpg
Kotonowaka-vs-Atamif... jpg
(170.78 KB, 762x800)
I think we (they) closed a good basho, full of good fighting. The old veterans are rotating out, young champions of a new day rising.

Kirishima won the championship, with a very good 13-2 balance. I would describe 14-1 is great and 15-0 is excellent. If he bags the next yusho in January, he'll be promoted to yokozuna! Mainichi writes this:
> The head of the Japan Sumo Association's judges division, sumo elder Sadogatake, indicated the ozeki would be a candidate for promotion in January's grand tournament, where another championship or a record worthy of a title will likely see Kirishima ascend to sumo's highest rank. 
This means he might not have to win the yusho, just pull a "record worthy of a title". Problem is the champion then has to achieve and even better record to call Kirishimas "worthy of a title".
Terunofuji has to retire I believe. His health seemed to deteriorate so much. All kinds of injuries, knees, hip, back, spine. He participated only on one basho. Kirishima could prove a good replacement. He is still young (27) and not too prone to injuries, which means he can be there on many tournaments, and good enough grappler to score well, and be at the top, and gain some yushos here and there. He isn't as strong as Teru, who can beat everyone if healthy and fit, and noone compares to Hakuho ofc, but Kirishima might be just good enough.
I expect Hoshoryu joining him relatively soon that is if Kirishima can get into yokozuna rank.... Perhaps next year. I think he has more skill than Kirishima, perhaps stronger a bit too, but somehow he misses a bit more. What I don't like is his pre-tachi-ai staredown attitude. His fighting spirit is great, he is very competitive and agressive, forcing his will on the opponent, but just before the match he looks like a complete cunt. Okay, he is an ozeki, so there is an accomplishment to be proud of, but he's doing that since forever.
The third candidate, Takekeisho is an ozeki for years now. He is solid. But he is a one trick pony. Sure if he can achive those two yushos, sure promote him yokozuna.

The meteor of this and the last basho is Atamifuji. This tournament did not ended as exciting for him than the last one, but did very well, achieving a 11-4 balance. He is very young and very good. He will jump up a couple of places from Maegeshira #8. Good things are expected from him, needs more experience and more exposure to high pressure situations to get used to them, so he can keep his head clear and his mind set.
Yesterday he got beaten by Kirishima, and today had the chance to win one, and if Kirishima had lost to Takakeisho, that would have led to playoffs. It isn't how it happened, he lost and that sealed the fate of the yusho. Then Kirishima won anyway. Kotonowaka beat him quick, which was disappointing. He'll do better in January.
thumbnail of Kirishima-award-ceremony-prep-press-interview.png
thumbnail of Kirishima-award-ceremony-prep-press-interview.png
Kirishima-award-cerem... png
(315.83 KB, 771x435)
 >>/51319/
> another championship or a record worthy of a title
If I remember right Terunofuji was promoted with a 14-1, got beaten by Hakuho, who won the yusho with 15-0. There is no way any of them can do similar.
Hah, award ceremony went up:
https://rumble.com/v3xzx97-kyushu-2023-makuuchi-award-ceremony-and-yusho-interview-eng-cc-by-kohaku-ne.html
thumbnail of 2024-hatsu-basho.jpg
thumbnail of 2024-hatsu-basho.jpg
2024-hatsu-basho jpg
(440.79 KB, 1920x660)
Hatsu Basho starts tomorrow!!!
And I'm reading on Tachiai blog, that Terunofuji will fight! Sadly I don't hope for much, his body is a wreck, average people don't recover from such injuries, the only thing I'm rooting for he won't get hurt much more.
Kirishima with his victory in the last tournament is aiming for the yokozuna title with another yusho. With Teru's state it would be good to have another grand champion, and I think Kirishima is cool, but to be frank he doesn't have that much talent. He is good, but not that good. Still if he gets it, obviously he will deserve it.
Atamifuji is at Maegeshira 1 (west). He'll have to fight all the top guys, and he doesn't have a good balance against them. His performance in the last two bashos were excellent. Perhaps he has a bit stage fright when have to face the big names. He has to overcome this mental and emotional barrier.
Hakuoho is back after his share of operation on his shoulder. Hopefully he recovered enough. He is down in Makushita, probably won't be much of a problem for him, and he'll start in juryo next time.
Onosato is in Makuuchi now.
thumbnail of f_17240671.jpg
thumbnail of f_17240671.jpg
f_17240671 jpg
(62.99 KB, 960x755)
You asked who was the lady commentating yesterday. Someone on the forums knows the answer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yui_Susaki

Also, have a bonus pissed Terunofuji after that Tobizaru kick.
 >>/51555/
Ah, Olympic gold medalist freestyle wrestler. Image search shows she has the build for it. Built the build. Oh well.
> Teru face
Let's say it's the effort, not the anger.
thumbnail of 2024-hatsu-Teronufuji-yusho.jpg
thumbnail of 2024-hatsu-Teronufuji-yusho.jpg
2024-hatsu-Teronu... jpg
(162.49 KB, 679x800)
thumbnail of t-vs-k.mp4
thumbnail of t-vs-k.mp4
t-vs-k mp4
(18.44 MB, 1280x720)
Great return for Terunofuji!
The tournament ended yesterday. In juryo Takerufuji won the yusho, to my surprise. I don't know anything about him, he is new to this division, his last 6 results were good, but not spotless. Now a 12-2 result is very good one, but he fought mostly against the lower ranking rikishis, and next time he probably has to face Wakatakakage and Hakuoho, beside the top dudes.
So Terunofuji. He spent most of 2023 recovering. He had knee surgeries in both legs, and had "lower back problems", his spine is fucked there as earlier noted. I was hoping he won't re-injure, I know he might hurting and weaker for couldn't train with full steam during recovery. I have not expected that he'll be the central figure of the basho at the end, Kirishima's struggle for the yokozuna title was one theme of the basho, and then as Kotonowaka remained unbeated, his chance to get promoted to ozeki gained attention too. But with some unfortunate events, two ozekis were out of the race, and Teru beat the rest of the top wrestlers. In fact he just threw Kirishima out of the dohyo like nothing.
I'm still worried, it seems to be a pattern. He gets injured, then returns with a big win, then next basho he gets worse, perhaps have to leave in mid tournament, then have to sit out bashos recovering again.

As for Kirishima, my opinion didn't change, he is good, a top rikishi, and probably fit for ozeki, but not good enough for yokozuna.
And this is true for the rest. Hoshoryu is very talented, but fails at random matches - btw Kirishima too. Hoshoryu suffered minor injury pre-tournament, then the recurring abuse made it worse, so he couldn't finish the basho properly. He still pulled a very good 10-4-1 balance.
I'm looking at both of their records (these are on their Wikipee page) and neither has spotless rise in the ranks, their results are frequently just in the positive (4-3, 5-2; 8-7, 9-6), rarely a 10+. Not that impressive.
Compared to them the fresh rising stars:
- Hakuoho introduced himself in makushita with a 7-0. Then in juryo 10-5, 14-1. Then in makuuhci 11-4.
- Onosato's makushita record aint that good, but in juryo 12-3, 12-3, and now in makuuchi 11-4.
Granted shouldn't measure everyone with the standards of the retired yokozuna, Hakuho.

Kotonowaka is working hard. He has similar low-key rise like Kirishima and Hoshoryu. I feel more focus on Hoshoryu than the rest. So Kotonowaka is now collected 33 points in 3 tournaments. Usually for an ozeki promotion they demand 33 points during three consequent 10+ tournament results. His 33 starts with a 9-6. I don't know if he gets promoted, or they'll demand another 10+ win. He had an impressive form in the past two weeks, but the banzuke has three ozekis listed. That seems plenty.

This was an exciting basho, with some troubling illnesses and injuries.
thumbnail of KOTONOWAKA.jpg
thumbnail of KOTONOWAKA.jpg
KOTONOWAKA jpg
(98.81 KB, 798x1200)
thumbnail of kotonowaka-fishes.jpg
thumbnail of kotonowaka-fishes.jpg
kotonowaka-fishes jpg
(143.91 KB, 800x557)
Kotonowaka was promoted to ozeki. Well deserved, he was working hard for a long time now, only an injury slowing him down. He is a big lad, and strong. But he also has his short-circuit thing, characteristic to his fellow ozekis. He fails random matches where he should be winner.
Now the banzuke counts four ozekis, which one of them will be the next yokozuna?
thumbnail of photo_l.jpg
thumbnail of photo_l.jpg
photo_l jpg
(214.76 KB, 960x703)
Welp, they kicked out Hokuseiho (for serial bullying – stealing money was also mentioned by tabloids but this was not included in the charges) and penalized Hakuho (for doing nothing about it – Chris mentioned he has been absent, not living with the guys ever since they're in the temporary building, so he probably didn't even know it's been continuing since 2022 when he was only just taking over)
Feels like a bit of a hook on Hakuho to keep him in line, tbh. But Hokuseiho didn't look like he's going anywhere from where he got by now anyway. And apparently he was also actually lazy, not just looking like that in the dohyo. Bummer.
Someone else will temporarily take over the stable to get things "in proper order". I hope Hakuoho won't be affected by the drama.
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2024/02/89fd0e352fa7-sumo-former-yokozuna-hakuho-penalized-over-proteges-violence.html
 >>/51684/
No more slow dancing. Oh well.
Perhaps I watched one too many yak movies, but everything around sumo makes me think some monkey business in the play. Like know I think whatever happened Hakuho knew about it, that temporary building thing is an excuse, and that Hokuseiho is a fall guy taking the blame.
> Hokuseiho didn't look like he's going anywhere from where he got by now anyway.
Part of the reason it was him who drew the ace.
thumbnail of haru-basho-2024.jpg
thumbnail of haru-basho-2024.jpg
haru-basho-2024 jpg
(535.98 KB, 1920x660)
Spring basho starts on Sunday!

Terunofuji did a good job, and perhaps kept himself from re-injury. At least it seemes he was still okay at the end. I'm worried he will have to withdraw in mid-tournament due to relapse. But I hope he won't.
Kotonowaka is an ozeki now, and he is in a good form for quite a while now. But as all the current ozekis (Hoshoryu, Kirishima, Takakeisho) he also fails in seemingly random matches, and in some non-random, against opponents who have good track record against them, those simply fight in a style that they just can't handle.  I think this is the difference, that Teru has at least the size and the strength to counter those rikishis who can cause trouble to him. At least when he is healthy.
Hopefully Hoshoryu is healthy again, just like Takakeisho.
Kirishima is after a good tournament, but a failure to won the championship. I think his stable master is retiring and the fate of his heya is unsure. 
Asanoyama is at maegeshira #1 waiting to enter the sanyaku ranks. He had to miss 3 bouts to health related issues.
Atamifuji is at M#2. His last score was only 6-9 but he had to face the top guys, and it seems he has a little bit of stage-fright against them. He is young (22) and has time to mature. He can be one of the top guys easily.
Oho jumped to M#3. He is yoyoing up and down. He is strong for the guys in the back, but not skillful enough for the rikishis at the front.
Climbing of Onosato continued, at M#5. Perhaps won't stop now.
New addition to makuuchi is Takerufuji, with stellar form. It goes well with Isegahama-beya these years it seems. Many talents there.
Unlike Miyagino. Ofc Hokuseiho is booted  >>/51684/ and Hakuho did not prove to be a great master there. For now, he could be better in the future. There is a new caretaker, called Tamagaki.

Wakatakakage is climbed up to juryo, just as Hakuoho. Both recovering from health issues. Not sure what's interesting there. Hokuseiho is listed in juryo. Curious.
Today is Day 7 of Haru Basho and yesterday we entertained the thought who will be the champion. We missed one guy: Atamifuji.
At the moment I'd give a good chance for him to win. His at 4-2 from 6 bouts (I dunno what he wrestled today yet, so...) and this is his results of the past 6 days:
- lost vs Kotonowaka, 0-1
- won vs Kirishima, 1-1
- lost vs Hoshoryu, 1-2
- won vs Tobizaru, 2-2
- won vs Takakeisho, 3-2
- won vs Asanoyama, 4-2
He faced all four ozekis already, beat 2 of them, and beat two other difficult opponents.
He doesn't have to face Terunofuji, since they are in the same heya. So possible opponents are from the top ranks:
- Daiesho
- Wakamotoharu
- Abi
- Nishikigi
- Ura
- Meisei
- Oho
- Takanosho
- Hiradoumi
Ofc this all depends on how all they do, and one more rikishi have to be listed who do very well now:
- Onosato
Takerufuji is doing well too, but he is in Isegahama as well.
I think Onosato is absolutely one of the rikishis he'll have to face, with his 6-0 record at the moment.
With the exception of Oho, and perhaps Takanosho who is past his prime, all of these can mean a serious challenge.
However Nishikigi, Takanosho, Oho, Meisei, Hiradoumi, Ura, and Daieisho aren't in their best forms, and might not rise in the list enough to be worthy to pitted against him.
And there are rikishis from the back of the banzuke who have good results, but they are lesser threats.
Anyway at the moment I think Atamifuji has a good chance.
Yusho interview:
https://rutube.ru/video/7a9e3b500428d36fdc1c179ac2783ac1/
https://videopress.com/v/ADIi4vm2
thumbnail of takerufuji-vs-gonoyama-202403.jpg
thumbnail of takerufuji-vs-gonoyama-202403.jpg
takerufuji-vs-go... jpg
(144.9 KB, 676x800)
This was a basho with full of surprises.
Firstly in juryo the two favourites, neither Wakatakakage nor Hakuoho did managed to get near to winning the championship. It was Mitoryu who secured his first place with a 12-3.
In makuuchi Kirishima fared extremely bad. Especially considering his previous forms. Still - again - surprisingly he managed to beat fellow ozeki Kotonowaka in the ultimate match. Terunofuji's withdrawal was kinda expected, I hoped differently but we all know he isn't doing good. All those injuries, operations, recoveries. Sad.
But the greatest surprise was the freshest newbie in makuuchi, the Maegeshira #17 Takerufuji. He is from the same stable as Teru, from Isegahama. This was his first tournament in makuuchi, and he fought his way up to the very top, and became the champion with an impressive 13-2, beating some top rikishis not Hoshoryu tho.
On day 14 Takerufuji suffered his second loss, against Asanoyama, a former ozeki, and while falling out of the dohyo he hurt his right leg, had to limp out, and from the news we know ambulance took him away. Despite this today he showed up and beat Gonoyama with noticeable pain. But this win cemented his yusho. He also got all but one prizes. He'll probably jump up to the sanyaku ranks - from the last place of the division.

Great basho all around were many good bouts, exciting and fun. Zuper awesome.
Next morning interview. The automatic translation does quite a decent job.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=u97NMLWLtlA

I'm reading a bit more info on where Takerufuji came from on wikipedia. He had knee injuries in high school, 2nd year of university, and then the future Onosato (who just kept winning everything) eclipsed him, which is why he was never the winner before.
 >>/51817/
Ah thanks for context. No wonder his legs look thin and weaker than the rest. He is young still so hopefully his injuries won't leave much of an impact. Sadly chances are he could be prone to injury. That would suck balls, this helluva splash he did proves he is very capable.
> Onosato eclipsed him
Even if Takerufuji don't accomplish anything more - perhaps for recurring injuries, or because facing all the top ranks will be a harder challange, or whatever else, fate knows -, and Onosato grows into the next yokozuna, I think Takerufuji proved that he is more than a match.

Post(s) action:

Moderation Help
Scope:
Duration: Days

Ban Type:

New Reply on thread #32381
Max 20 files0 B total