[New Reply]

[Index] [Catalog] [Banners] [Logs]
Posting mode: Reply [Return]

thumbnail of The Order.jpg
thumbnail of The Order.jpg
The Order jpg
(91.61 KB, 600x900)
It's like Buffy.
2 seasons. Actually enjoyable (if one doesn't expect much, I had no expectations). Second season features Spike, well the actor in some other role for a bit.
It's about a mage order and a werewolf brotherhood and others. Really like Buffy with less vampires and pop culture references and humour.
thumbnail of bullet-train.jpg
thumbnail of bullet-train.jpg
bullet-train jpg
(1.69 MB, 2160x1440)
Bullet Train is breddy darn good! Very enjoyable. No woke nonsense. Humor, action, visuals, good story, twists, mostly good acting. Maybe a bit ridiculous.
Recommended.
thumbnail of orphanblackechoes_new_1280x720.jpg
thumbnail of orphanblackechoes_new_1280x720.jpg
orphanblackechoes_new... jpg
(473.12 KB, 1280x720)
thumbnail of young-geniuses.png
thumbnail of young-geniuses.png
young-geniuses png
(711.82 KB, 1249x719)
This one has a good foundation in the story, but about the 4th episode it gets flat, then they bring that sisterhood bs into the picture, and the ending ain't cathartic or anything. I assume they'll make another season. Also product of wokism (wokeism? it's not about woks).
My brother-in-law lend me a netflix subscription but nothing in the platform calls my attention.
I tried The Office but it was corny and boring as hell, does anyone have any recs in there?
thumbnail of deep-impact.jpg
thumbnail of deep-impact.jpg
deep-impact jpg
(1.51 MB, 1635x2233)
thumbnail of DeepImpact_En_120717.jpg
thumbnail of DeepImpact_En_120717.jpg
DeepImpact_... jpg
(366.33 KB, 800x1200)
Watched Deep Impact. It's different what you'd think from the title.
It came out in 1998, the same year as Armageddon, and it's literally the same topic: a giant meteor speeding towards Earth and a group of astronauts goes up there to drill holes and nuke it, but have to make a sacrifice.
Armageddon takes a more... "Amerrrikaaa Fuck Yeah!" stance, while Deep Impact is more sombre, and I read it's more scientifically sound (as much as these things can be). Deep Impact also follows a journalist chiefly, while Armageddon concentrates wholly on the crew of the spaceship.
I have never seen this before, and it was okay.
thumbnail of ginger-snaps.jpg
thumbnail of ginger-snaps.jpg
ginger-snaps jpg
(147.37 KB, 1000x1460)
thumbnail of ginger-snaps2.jpg
thumbnail of ginger-snaps2.jpg
ginger-snaps2 jpg
(364.56 KB, 1440x1080)
thumbnail of gingersnaps.jpg
thumbnail of gingersnaps.jpg
gingersnaps jpg
(304.2 KB, 1920x1080)
Watching Ginger Snaps 2. I've seen 1 not long ago. It's about Ginger who snaps. Werewolf story, lots screaming. Classic horror but did not saw it back then when I was actually watching horrors. It's not frightening, I don't mind.
I liek the aesthetics of the actress playing Ginger so that's a plus, and the other is cute too. Well at least her human form. The other is too hairy and twisted.
There is a third one I believe, "Ginger Snaps Back The Beginning".
thumbnail of ginger-snaps3.jpg
thumbnail of ginger-snaps3.jpg
ginger-snap... jpg
(102.32 KB, 750x1125)
The third one - Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning - really takes back to the beginning, to the early 1800s (~1820 perhaps), the frontiers.
It has elements from The Thing: they are trapped in an isolated place, people are paranoid about each other, they have test to tell who is a werewolf (done smartly, they do a test but reveal the purpose only later).
The story itself is kinda predictable.
Plot twist: the black haired girl is called Ginger. Not.
thumbnail of armageddon.jpg
thumbnail of armageddon.jpg
armageddon jpg
(575.43 KB, 1361x2000)
Armageddon.
Compared to this:  >>/51391/ what a contrast.
It's a long movie, 2 and a half hours, still due to the quick cuts, the music, the short barked lines which often aren't a part of a coherent conversation, it feels like if this was a trailer of a movie.
It is often melodramatic. Liek when they think one of the ships is lost, and Arwen retires to a room to be alone with her sorrow a deep voice stating from the intercom that "Independence is flatlined" making the scene ridiculous.
Many relatively close up shots makes the screen cramped, and it feels as if they had cut parts of it from around. Makes me wish I could zoom out or somethin.
It's still entertaining, after all those years.
thumbnail of 335932.jpg-r_1280_720-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx.jpg
thumbnail of 335932.jpg-r_1280_720-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx.jpg
335932-r_1280_720-f_j... jpg
(408.05 KB, 1000x668)
L'étudiante et Monsieur Henri (2015)

If 6/10 is for a film that you enjoy because you had nothing else to do, I would give it 6.5/10 maybe 7/10 if feeling very generous.

While it doesn't have top notch writing or anything that would make it a very rememberable, it certainly has its own charm. The character developments were nice though nothing unpredictable. There were no bad characters, they were all relatable and decent in their own way. 

In the end she could not pass the music exam but that doesn't matter, she says she'll try again for the next year. Clearly the director doesn't want to finalize the film with a feel-good happy ending. Saying that she'll try for next year without an hesitation and inheriting the old man's piano indicates she'll chase her dreams which what matters, atleast according to the old mans letter as he says there are more important things than becoming sucessfull. It was the actual good ending that the film deserved.

Pic related main actress, lovely figure.
thumbnail of Martian_Land_poster.jpg
thumbnail of Martian_Land_poster.jpg
Martian_Land_... jpg
(56.88 KB, 273x364)
Me watched Martian Land. Wikipedia says it's a mockbuster of The Martian. I don't think so: 1. the only common thing that both are set on Mars; 2. it's just flat, no comical or satirical elements.
Not much to tell, the acting ain't good, but not bad enough to make it a cult film. On one occasion the cgi is hilariously bad tho.
One of the main actresses is Hungarian-Vietnamese apparently.

>>/51461/
Sometimes the message "keep fighting" is more inspirational than "job is well done". The dead finished their jobs, the living struggles on.
She's kinda cute.
thumbnail of turist.jpg
thumbnail of turist.jpg
turist jpg
(163.74 KB, 1280x720)
thumbnail of turist2.jpg
thumbnail of turist2.jpg
turist2 jpg
(133.27 KB, 1280x723)
Watched Tyrict yesterday. Made by Wagner just like Best in Hell. It is more story driven than the letter, but similarly action focused. I couldn't watch it in one sitting, in fact only in several, so I might do it again (unlikely).
Since I don't know the exact situation in the Central African Republic I could treat the story as entirely fictional. Obvious political message was only at the penultimate scene, about how Russia made it possible for CAR to have a legitimate election and whatnot. Albeit just before it seemed they depicted an instance of corruption in Russia. Anyway, up to that point the movie is devoid from this stuff, and mostly enjoyable.
The acting ain't good, but the choreography of the action scenes are swell. There are some injuries depicted and whatnot that - while might be amateurish in their depiction - seem realistic. The film also features the usual camaraderie themes can be found in war movies.
What bothered me is the shaky camera, which is plausible and a legit choice for such a movie, but while reading the not so well translated subtitles, it was distracting.
There is a main character but there are so many things going on, comparatively short screentime is spent on him, so empathizing with him, or understanding his actions is not easy. I think he serves more like an entry point for the story and an introduction to the unit and how things are going there.
The negress is kinda cute so that's plus.
thumbnail of Blue Summer 1973.jpeg
thumbnail of Blue Summer 1973.jpeg
Blue... jpeg
(744.32 KB, 1931x2939)
Watched Blue Summer (1973). Was pretty interesting seeing how ameriga is while driving. There's a lot of life lessons throughout the movie. (and lots of seggs and fuggings. Liek 5 times total though. It really raw stuff. Naked people + thrusting and everything.)

Like don't trust strangers too much. And be raly nice to people in need (like they did with the Biker character). Because they may help you out later on.

But it kinda ended up conveying the dread of maturing up at the end of the film. The dreaded feeling of knowing that you'll never be young again. And the crazy times you're having now will never end. Really good film though
thumbnail of Blue summer movie banner.png
thumbnail of Blue summer movie banner.png
Blue summer... png
(401.99 KB, 526x795)
Watched Blue Summer (1973). Was pretty interesting seeing how ameriga is while driving. There's a lot of life lessons throughout the movie. (and lots of seggs and fuggings. Liek 5 times total though. It really raw stuff. Naked people + thrusting and everything.)

Like don't trust strangers too much. And be raly nice to people in need (like they did with the Biker character). Because they may help you out later on.

But it kinda ended up conveying the dread of maturing up at the end of the film. The dreaded feeling of knowing that you'll never be young again. And the crazy times you're having now will never end. Really good film though
thumbnail of metalopocalypse cover.jpeg
thumbnail of metalopocalypse cover.jpeg
metalopocal... jpeg
(214.58 KB, 1280x1920)
Was also seeing Metalocalypse. It's a parody / tribute tv show for rock music / hard rock bands and fans. Lots of famous bands and rock history events throughout the show. Liek this one

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Nztp7NBujaE

It's just a Van Halen/David Lee Roth reference. The show definitely gets better in the later seasons. If you like Scandinavian rock, Slayer, 80s rock bands, or Death metal music in general, you'll like this show.
 >>/51655/
> There's a lot of life lessons throughout the movie. 
Sounds like Hey Arnold.
> lots of seggs and fuggings.
Or maybe not.
The poster of the movie looks like a foreshadow tho.

>>/51656/
This looks very familiar.
thumbnail of beacon-23.jpg
thumbnail of beacon-23.jpg
beacon-23 jpg
(178.88 KB, 718x1024)
This one is gud. Haven't finished yet.
I think it's about a rogue AI??? Eventually. But if not, it is definitely builds on that theme.
I also think it plays entirely on a small space station, with minimal amount of characters per episode.
 >>/51712/
> I think it's about a rogue AI??? Eventually. But if not, it is definitely builds on that theme.
I also think it plays entirely on a small space station, with minimal amount of characters per episode.

Liek the 2001 movie then?

>>/51668/
> The poster of the movie looks like a foreshadow tho.

Yes bc they're thieves not hitchhickers. They have a tv while asking for a ride in the poster. Why would you need a TV to get car ride though? And while travelling. No electricities
 >>/51714/
You're telling me they adapted a movie to a show? I have to look that up because the show is good.

>>/51714/
Perhaps they take the telly home. Or to their mom in the nursery home.
 >>/51714/
Looked it up did not found a movie with that name, or even that based on the book. But I think I figured out my mistake. Do you mean Space Odyssey?
Because it is indeed somewhat similar. For my description, definitely similar. I'm still too early in the story to tell if it spirals out in that direction. Or will take a different turn.
There are more people in the show, although there was one episode with only two person on board.
 >>/51714/
 >>/51721/
Watched a couple more episodes. It focuses more on Machine Learning, how the AI learnt while helped out generations of humans. Ofc reflecting on the fact that currently we are busy with ML.
thumbnail of The Gentlemen.jpg
thumbnail of The Gentlemen.jpg
The Gentlemen jpg
(122.49 KB, 450x630)
This one is a breddy gud show. Made by Guy Ritchie after his movie with the same title. Which I have not seen yet, but I'm going to. I think they had filming locations reserved, set and props ready so they thought they should do something with it.
Not through yet, only three episodes in, for now it's entertaining.
I don't think the Lock, Stock and the Snatch can be surpassed but Guy Ritchie generally does good stuff.
Amazon is making a telly show out of Fallout because ofc everything has to be raped multiple times (after Bethesda's consequent rapes in this case). Okay I did not find the 3d first-person Fallouts horrible for I had no expectations and enjoyed playing with both 3 and New Vegas. Still.
The trailer is actually breddy gud, at least compared to my expectations (because now I had some):
https://invidious.protokolla.fi/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg
https://youtube.com/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg
Ofc the hero will be a woman. This still could turn out good, or wokey bad. It's Amazon so it'll be bad. I reserve the final say after I checked it out, for I think I will. Supposedly airs on April 11th. We'll see.
thumbnail of Shogun-2024.jpg
thumbnail of Shogun-2024.jpg
Shogun-2024 jpg
(119.31 KB, 900x1350)
They made a new telly show out of James Clavell's Shogun. It's different than the 1980 miniseries. Less Anjin centered, and Blackthorn is less of an active participant, more of a bumbling sufferer of the events. There is some stronk woman moments but not bothersome. What one might consider as an actual shortcoming: it is more of a Game of Thrones.
To really say a judgement, I would need to read the book.
 >>/51856/
I have seen bits of it on Youtube and my brother mentioned it as well, apparently it is good.
Though it's western so that would put me off and it seems like it's based on fiction.
 >>/51857/
Ah I wrote a reply yesterday but apparently did not hit new reply.
So.
Yeah the novel is a novel, albeit a historical one, with real historical background (the end of the sengoku period), and with real historical figures with their names twisted a bit (Tokugawa -> Toranaga). Even the English pilot was a living person.
The historical setting, the customs and costumes, the buildings and whatnot feels believable. I can't really go into splitting hairs that "they didn't wear those swords with those dresses" or whatnot.
thumbnail of yyHk.jpeg
thumbnail of yyHk.jpeg
yyHk jpeg
(241.19 KB, 1513x2269)
thumbnail of gwre5yhy.jpeg
thumbnail of gwre5yhy.jpeg
gwre5yhy jpeg
(218.77 KB, 1920x1080)
thumbnail of rjnjt.jpeg
thumbnail of rjnjt.jpeg
rjnjt jpeg
(474.73 KB, 2560x1600)
Just finished watching the entire Yu-Yu Hakusho series. Being srs when I say it's probably one of the best anime shows to watch. All the characters are flawed but likeable. All of the major story arcs are compelling and engrossing. Animation for everything looks great for a series that's liek 30 years old. 

And the series finale was really good too. Highly recommend it bernds.
thumbnail of fallout-telly-show.png
thumbnail of fallout-telly-show.png
fallout-telly-show png
(1.77 MB, 1920x1053)
thumbnail of another-junktown.png
thumbnail of another-junktown.png
another-junktown png
(1.48 MB, 1920x1053)
 >>/51816/
Soooo....
Watched one and a half episodes. It's silly and they should have not made it. Perhaps it will become entertaining. Perhaps it won't. For now I'll watch it for curiosity's sake.
In general I can't say much positive about it, it's flat. I laffed at:
> Vault-Tec Plan D
poison on a table a family's corpses sat around
That shit was funny.
Cute dawg.
That's about it.
I have not found anything too annoying either. What I can mention is the vault's population is about 20. In the games they had that many dwellers for the games/engines limitations. If they put the hundreds of people that should occupy a vault, that shit have lagged like hell. Same with TES games. Some of these vaults should support couple thousand people. In the games these handful of people look ridiculous, but we give them a pass because we know they just represent a population of unnamed NPCs, which would be annoying to have anyway for they couldn't say anything and wouldn't have any meaningful role. In the telly show, it looks ridiculous same, but hard to forgive this.
Meh.
 >>/51856/
Perhaps this should go to the literature thread, but highly related to this.
Started to read the novel. Couple pages from the prologue, but from the description of Blackthorn, the older miniseries' hero is closer to his character. In the book he is tall, have light, blue eyes, and always have a smirk on his face. The 1980 miniseries grabs this better, in this recent one, he feels more stocky. Remember he was traveling on a Dutch ship, where the vast majority of the crew is Dutch. Dutchmen are generally tall, so noting his height as characteristic, means he was really tall, and since nothing else is mentioned, for now I think Clavell pictured him lanky. But back to the new show, he also feels darker somewhat, but he lacks that cheeky grin, he seems frowning more.
This is just my first impression.
 >>/51901/
I'm somewhere before the pissing scene in the book. Blackthorne is more pro-active, he tries to learn the customs, and pick up words, get a general feeling about their situation. So he's more like in the first miniseries in this sense. On the other hand, in the new series he walks weird and looks frail, from the book that makes sense for all of em, the sailors that is, suffered illnesses, scurvy in the firs place. Tho in the book from the scurvy they were recovering fast for they got boiled and fresh veggies in the Japans. I imagine they suffered wounds, that not heal properly due to lack of vit C so such could cause permanent damage in health. In the old miniseries however Blackthorn seems fit as a fiddle.
thumbnail of shogun-2024_jpg_1600x900_crop_q85.jpg
thumbnail of shogun-2024_jpg_1600x900_crop_q85.jpg
shogun-2024_jpg_1600x... jpg
(122.42 KB, 1200x675)
 >>/51856/
Finished the show. 10 episodes.
I don't know. Much of it feels just filler, pointless dialogs and standing about. There are couple of cool scenes, like when Toranaga's kid uses the cannons to kill Ishido's envoy.
They demoted Blackthorn to be entirely observer of events.
I prefer the original series. I leave my final judgement after I finished the book, because right know I can tell there is much more to it than either of the two shows provides, and perhaps enough in it to explain the new one's shift of focus to the Japanese characters' thoughts and struggle.

Post(s) action:

Moderation Help
Scope:
Duration: Days

Ban Type:

New Reply on thread #44206
Max 20 files0 B total